Skip to content

The Role of AI in Sustainable Building Design

In a world awakening to the harsh realities of climate change, certain sectors, including construction, are still grappling with the challenge of implementing immediate measures. Can artificial intelligence (AI) pave the way for a significant change? Today, we delve into the environmental impact of the construction industry and explore how AI-based technology could be the key to a sustainable transformation.

 

The Construction Dilemma: Environmental Impact and Ambitious Goals

The construction sector stands as one of the major contributors to pollution. Buildings today are responsible for 40% of EU total emissions. Most of these, some 79%, are operational emissions, while embodied emissions make up the remaining 21%. Ambitious plans have been set to achieve zero net energy consumption in new residential buildings by 2050. However, the sheer complexity and cost of designing environmentally friendly structures pose significant challenges. The need for highly skilled workers, intricate knowledge of materials, standards, and the integration of complex technologies further hinder progress.

 

AI-Based Technology: A Catalyst for Sustainable Building Design

Optimal planning and design have the potential to reduce a building’s carbon footprint by up to 50%. Yet, the intricacies involved make this a time-consuming endeavor. Enter AI-based technology. At Lurtis, we are at the forefront of innovation with AI4e3nvelope, a BIM-connected platform developed in collaboration with ABIO Research Group and the Centre for Computer Simulation. This platform utilizes Machine Learning, Heuristic Optimization, Energy Efficiency Simulators, and Life Cycle Analysis to assist architects in designing buildings with net-zero energy consumption and low environmental impact.

 

AI4e3nvelope’s Impactful Features:

  • Material and System Recommendations: Proposes suitable materials for different construction systems, optimizing choices for windows, façades , and other elements.
  • Design Optimization: Analyzes and optimizes not only the transparency of the facades, but also the fixed shading elements., ensuring a good energy efficiency from an early stage of the design.
  • Quality Objectives Analysis: Evaluates each design based on energy consumption, interior comfort, environmental impact, cost, and more.

 

The Future Trends: Industrialized Construction and Beyond

To further mitigate environmental impact, off-site construction emerges as a key trend, emphasizing efficient planning and waste control. Additional methodologies, such as the use of natural and recyclable building materials, represent ongoing research efforts.

 

Joining Forces Against Climate Change: Lurtis’ Contribution

As we stand on the precipice of climate crisis, Lurtis is taking a significant step forward by developing AI-driven solutions. The question remains: What steps will you take to contribute to a sustainable future?

Read more about our groundbreaking project and the role of AI in sustainable construction here

 

 

Grant PLEC2021-007962 funded by MCIN/AEI/ 10.13039/501100011033 and, as appropriate, by “ERDF A way of making Europe”, by the “European Union” or by the “European Union NextGenerationEU/PRTR”.

Our website uses Analytical Cookies to know how the website is used and improve our website. By clicking “Accept Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.